There are quite a few reasons why you may want to upgrade your bathroom – and because of this, you might be planning a renovation for this part of your house. If this is the case, it’s often best to learn more about the costs involved with this type of project before rushing into things.
What Variables Have to Be Considered for a Bathroom Renovation Cost?
Often, there are quite a few things that can determine how much you may be looking to spend on your bathroom’s renovation. This is one of the main reasons why one remodel may cost $25,000, while another may only come in at $5,000. For your project, do you plan to:
- Buy entirely new fittings, or just a few?
- Make small changes, or install a brand new bathroom?
- Hire professionals to handle the renovation, or take care of the remodel yourself?
- Add new windows or make electrical changes (or any other types of structural changes?)
In most cases, these are the main things to consider when trying to figure out how expensive your renovation is likely to be. So how much does a bathroom renovation cost?
- For a budget upgrade; within a price range of $5,000 to $15,000
- For an ordinary renovation; anywhere from $15,000 to $35,000
- For a luxury remodel; generally more than $35,000
Despite this, a report from the HIA found that in 2018, the average cost of a bathroom installation (as part of a renovation) is around $17,500, while the price of a brand new bathroom (namely those installed in newly built homes) can often come to around $16,500.
How the Bathroom’s Style and New Fittings Can Influence the Renovation’s Price
For most bathroom remodels, the fittings you purchase can have a large impact on the final cost of the renovation. Because of this, it can often be important to consider what you need and what you want from your new bathroom. A few examples of how much budget and luxury items can cost are:
- Toilets – A budget toilet can often be bought for around $400, while more expensive options can cost more than $1,000
- Bathtubs – Often, less expensive bathtubs can be purchased for around $200 to $600, while premium ones can cost from $2,000 to $9,000
- Vanities – While budget options for vanities will often be priced from $500 to $1,000, more expensive ones tend to have a much larger price tag, often varying from $2,000 to $5,000
- Showers – Often, an inexpensive shower can come for as little as $30, while luxury ones can sometimes have prices as high as $1,000
Often, for other accessories (such as basins, shower screens, etc.), the price ranges can vary from one fitting to the next. Because of this, it’s often best to do a bit of research before deciding on one particular product.
Who to Hire for a Bathroom Remodel?
While some may be able to handle a renovation project on their own, others may need the help of an expert (or experts) for their renovation. While new fittings on their own are likely to cost quite a bit of cash, the prices of hiring experts will often add extra to the remodel’s overall cost. While a DIY job may not come with these additional fees, there are times where it’s crucial to have a professional’s help.
Even for a DIY task, you may need the assistance of a specialist. In some cases, this can be a legal requirement, so you may need to hire:
- A plumber
- An electrician – if you plan to install anything electrical, such as new lights or hot water heaters
- A tiler to install floor and wall tiles, as well as waterproofing
How to Find the Right Expert for Your Renovation
Those who need the help of a specialist are likely to want to find the most relevant tradespeople. Often, doing so can be as simple as comparing costs (often found with free quotes), reading testimonials and recommendations, and doing some general research online.
How to Remodel a Bathroom on a Budget
If you’re planning to spend as little on your remodel as possible, you may be wondering how you could save cash. It can be a good idea to only change the things that need to be changed – and to make do where possible.
For example, if you can’t afford to buy a new bathtub, you may be able to resurface it instead. This could be done without the help of a specialist to save even more cash, too.
What if you’re Renovating to Sell?
If you plan to sell your property and want to update your bathroom to increase the price, try to consider what your potential buyers will want. While there’s no need to overspend on unnecessary items, try to make sure that the room is clean and functional. Just a small selection of things that can often come to around $5,000 or less include:
- Cleaning and grouting tiles (if necessary)
- Painting the walls
- Resurfacing the bathtub
- Installing new and more modern fittings
Tips for Remodelling a Bathroom
In most cases, it’s a wise idea to have a plan in place and to do your research if you want to make the most of your renovation. A final piece of advice is to choose non-slip flooring, or flooring that’s easy to maintain – as this can work to ensure the safety of the space.