Has a bathroom renovation or makeover been on your ‘to do list’ for too long?
What is holding you back?
If your biggest obstacle is financial, then you are not alone. A quality bathroom renovation involves a significant financial outlay.
If you choose good quality mid-range fittings, an ensuite renovation will start from around $16 000 – $18 000. A bathroom renovation will cost anywhere from $20 000.
You don’t want to take short cuts or choose the cheapest products, but some of your decisions can significantly impact the total cost of the renovation.
The amount of tiling rather than the type of tiles chosen can add significantly to the cost of the project. Many people choose to tile from floor to ceiling. This creates a beautiful, clean and modern look for your bathroom, but it does add on average about 10 square metres of tiles and tiling. The additional tiles add less to the price than the extra tiling as tiles are relatively inexpensive.
Fittings and Fixtures
Vanities, baths, tapware and toilet suites range greatly in price.
- Toilet suites from $200 – $1 000
- Tapware from $90 – $600
Double vanities, stone bench tops and frameless shower screens also add to the overall price of the renovation.
It is great to have definite ideas and choices about products and fixtures, however, these choices impact the cost of your renovation.
For most potential buyers who have had little or no experience with the process of renovating a bathroom, reality and research can be your best friends. Research the options and alternatives available and ask the following questions.
- What is included in the quotation?
- What items are prime costed?
- Are fittings and fixtures provided at trade prices?
- Is a Certificate of Insurance issued at the start of the contract?
- Will we receive a certificate of compliance for plumbing and electrical work?
- Is a statement of waterproofing compliance issued?
- Will specialist tradespeople complete the work?